Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What I Eat, when left to my own devices, Part III

Continuing with the breakfast theme...
Here I splurged on the "Irish bacon" from Whole Foods, and it was pretty good, with maple syrup, fried grits, and sweet potatoes, but not enough on its own to warrant the price.
That pot roast again (from a chuck roast cut, btw), with German red cabbage, a good standby recipe.
A picnic lunch when I went on a solo daytrip to Frederick, MD: ciabatta, pasture butter, farmers' market radishes, and sea salt- scrum-tiddly-umptious on a fine day in a green park.
A recipe I had longed long to make: Pumpkin Five Spice Cinnamon Rolls (4/5/10), from Coconut and Lime, a Baltimore-based blogger. They were a bit unwieldy to make and serve, but tasted pretty good.
A nice tidy dinner: boiled egg and inventive sauteed chard with sauce and raisins and what looks like pine nuts....
A gift from Trader Joe: a mache salad with my own vinaigrette, topped with TJ's arancini balls- basically fontina cheese melted inside a bread crumb crust- perfect hot atop the sweet greens.
My first foray into frying! I used Love and Olive Oil's recipe for Panko-Coated Chicken Schnitzel, and with a little experimenting it turned out great, even reheated as leftovers. (Now what to do with the panko?) It is accompanied here by Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Beets, and Asparagus, which was okay-- sauce was good, asparagus not cooked enough though. It all comes down to timing...

No comments:

Post a Comment