Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Beauty of Solitude

I recently showed a friend of mine the book I am currently reading (cue appearance of neat widget from shelfari at left), titled "Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant." His response was "this makes me sad and depressed, just reading the title." But he didn't get it. Cooking for yourself, just like cooking for others, is an expression of caring and thoughtfulness. It allows for self-reflection and meditation time. It lets the hands work away, while the mind, although reading numbers divided by a small diagonal line, can ease into matters it doesn't like to tackle head-on, but rather, come at them sideways, like a crab. At least that's how my mind likes to work. Especially on big or transformative issues. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Cooking for yourself is a statement that you're an important person who deserves a delicious meal, and delicious leftovers (kept for three days max, missy!!). As you said, it's an act of creation that demands your full attention. Unless you want to risk accidentally using salt instead of sugar, you best stop worrying about other things. Plus, it's just therapeutic to cook and nurture yourself the ancient way. Good food is good medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never done the salt for sugar thing, although someone I know has confused chili pepper for curry pepper. Oof!
    Good medicine- I like it! :-) I haven't cooked anything this past week or so- rotated big lunches and not-so-healthy snacks with bread and butter for dinner- not exactly honoring my worth, eh... but on the upswings, I do feel like cooking or baking... And goodness knows I dont stop buying the beautiful produce at the farmer's market! Motivated by waste, hmph!

    ReplyDelete