Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Black Bean Chicken Chili

Well, I went home and had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday. Food, feasting, family, and fun. And frolicking too.
But now I'm back at work, it is definitely winter, and my heat is definitely wimping out on me. No matter. I am going to stay out here and post! Maybe thinking about that black bean chile will warm me up... although it's not likely, since it was MY kind of chile, and not the kind to blow your top off in the least.
I found this warm, flavorful recipe base in Daily Soup, the very same cookbook that delivered me up to the horrors of the Mushroom Barley Soup only the week before. Well, I'm glad I gave it another try. And notice I said recipe base; as you will see, I departed from it quite liberally, being in a 'make-do' situation.
It is called Chicken Black Bean Chili, and it is categorized under "Meat," "Spicy," and "Lowfat" in the cookbook. Well, I'll try to collapse all my substitutions into a list so you can get an idea:

  • Halved the recipe
  • Used pre-roasted chicken from Giant rather than "1 whole chicken, cut up" (although I did make my own broth)
From this:

...to this!
  • Used 3/4 c kalamata olives rather than 2 red bell peppers
  • Used olive oil rather than peanut oil
  • Used spices (chili powder, cumin, coriander, bay leaves, and regular oregano, not Mexican) very approximately
  • Used sea salt rather than kosher salt
  • Used a mango Jamaican sauce rather than habanero pepper sauce
  • Used parsley rather than cilantro (and this was the bad parsley decision, not the earlier one with the mushroom soup; I got them confused)


And I didn't use pickled jalapenos or a habanero chile pepper. I know, it was really sacrilege. But anyway, it smelled very good simmering, but it was a little watery for what I thought of as chili. It did better as a stew. Oh, and it did a whole lot better after a day or two in the fridge. Great leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment